Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Okoboji 2009 – Relentless

This year’s trip down to Iowa was one for the record books and one I will never forget. Not only was it a wonderful, powerful and very meaningful theme based on Revelation 3:20 the group of youth that came down was very special.

We began the adventure planning for around 90 youth to attend the weekend with a few chaperones as well. After a few conflicts were worked out we ended up with 84 youth and 5 chaperones on two busses leaving the parking lot of Word of Peace Friday evening. I took a bit of a straw poll before we left and on the bus about thoughts and expectations for the weekend and it was pretty level and consistent where everyone was a little reluctant and would much rather be doing something else this particular weekend. This was very normal and came to no surprise to me. But I also saw some hopefulness and excitement when it came to seeing their friends also in the group and that lifted my spirits. Either way I was going to have a great weekend no matter what the youth thought. I was just hoping that they would come along with me and have a good time as well.

Upon arriving the excitement to get off the bus and be at camp began to take over. The apprehension of the weekend already started to lift. This was fairly usual for a few youth to experience this, but to see it from an entire group was most unusual. That evening the “Relentless” theme was introduced, cabins were assigned, and bedtime was welcomed with open arms as we were all tired.

The morning came and it was like everyone in the group had stayed up late and created cardboard cutouts of themselves and placed them in Morning Chapel while they stayed in bed. There was no movement, hardly any singing and only a few open eyes. But I was determined that food would pick them up and lift their spirits. Boy was I right! As the morning progressed the 9th grades slowly gained momentum becoming engaged in the theme and all the activities that followed. One very poignant moment came when I came up to the dish window where a cabin filled with Word of Peace boys was busy cleaning all the forks and plates from breakfast. When I asked how things were going, I heard a voice from the back say “Dain I am having so much fun. I love it here and am so glad I came!” What!? This is a comment I usually hear during free time or dodge ball not the first morning on dish crew. This was a great sign.

The day continued with more chapel, games and free time where friends were made, songs were sung and most importantly God was met. And on top of all of that I couldn’t stay away from the kids. Normally, I take a little time for myself during the weekend during the free time or before dinner, but I couldn’t help but be around the excitement and joy that everyone seemed to be exuding. It was contagious.

By the time we came to the end of the weekend we had an opportunity to share thoughts we may have had during the weekend and/or funny stories. I was brought to tears when many youth from Word of Peace came up to the front and something like, “I wasn’t sure what to expect this weekend and was unsure whether it was going to be fun or not. But I had such a good time and am so thankful to Word of Peace and Okoboji for this weekend. I feel closer to God and am really excited to be involved in church when I get back.”

Wow!

I even get a little choked up now remembering the weekend and those comments. This was a weekend to remember and something that affected this year’s confirmation class beyond anything I could ever hope for. God truly answered my prayers with this group and now I am so excited to continue on in ministry to them and the rest of the High School grades.

May you relentlessly pursue God who is always pursuing you and encourage your friends, family, kids, co-workers and the world to do the same.

Blessings,

dain

Check out some of the pictures on my flickr page

No comments: