Friday, March 6, 2009

Youth Ministry 3.0 Part 2

I'm at the point in my reading that I think I need to stop and think. The book is a lot of fun, but when it comes to provoking my thoughts, I need time. This happens when my brain likes to distract my eyes by thinking of a bigger picture. This has also happened with other books as well. So, let's let my brain expand on some more MarkO thoughts.

The idea of a new train.

I love the idea that the train analogy is changing or has already changed. I guess I noticed it happening in my own ministry but didn't know how to express it or build on it either. Here is an example we had in our confirmation program. A few weeks ago we were trying to figure out how we could take 3 weeks worth of material and boil it down to 1 week and still get the point across. The topic: stewardship, not an easy task. How were we supposed to get this complicated subject into the minds of youth whose parents don't even understand the concept? Using our curriculum we decided to have three distinct teaching section in the evening. Time, Talents and Treasure were the areas we needed to cover in a matter of an hour. But I would have to say the Holy Spirit was working in us that day of planning, because we came up with a way for the youth to experience stewardship rather than just throw facts at them.

In the end we got our senior pastor up with us as a Scrooge character who didn't like to give anything away and Pastor Rick, Derek and I were the "Ghosts of Stewardship" time, talent, and treasure. It became really elaborate from that point on, but after the fact I noticed something different about the youth that evening. Not only were they engaged with the lesson, they remembered what we told them. We even heard complements back from the youth. That doesn't happen often.

My point being, rather than just hearing the facts that people need to give to the church and charity with their time, talents and treasure they saw something in what we presented that made them experience the importance of the topic. Then, somewhere down the road, they will remember this night and feel like they have something to give, even if they don't have money.

The experience is driving them. They felt, saw, heard, and were touched by the message given that evening. Isn't that something we would all love to hear said about everything we do as youth workers? That somehow we were able to provide a place where youth can experience God? That we are no longer the goofy person up front, but a transparent youth worker that youth can see through us and straight to God? This is not an easy task. But we have to realize that the experience is backed up by faith and facts. That unless we are rooted in the Bible and believe whole-heartedly that God is working through us, we will not be able to provide the experiences youth need to connect to God in today's society.

My prayer is that we will offer experiences to youth that will help them encounter God in new ways, that will offer up a different view of themselves and the world so that they are forced to reevaluate their faith based on the facts and experience they had. And then the train, their life, will move down the tracks God has set out for them with those valuable experiences leading them ever closer to Christ.

Blessings,

dain

No comments: