Monday, February 2, 2009

Surprise Me God - Day 18 - Thursday

New Arrival

One thing I love about my job is the hours. Actually, it's more of a love/hate relationship. See I basically work what I can when I can and when I plan. In the end I am usually way over the average 40 hours for the week so I have to find some time to take off. This week was one of those weeks. I worked everyday this week because of the overnight ski trip we were taking Friday into Saturday morning. So, knowing Thursdays are usually lighter, I took Thursday morning and afternoon off. I had two things on my docket: 1, relax and two, go get my new TV.

This new TV is about 2 years in the making. Back when Heather's brother got married their parents (John and Marion) gave them a $500 credit towards a TV from John's TV store. With that they got a nice flat screen TV that made me rather jealous. Well, I can't say that I wasn't excited to get married and also receive the same credit towards a TV from John and Marian as well. So, with a lot of research and saving up of some money we decided on a TV and had it ordered. I had the day all worked out. Derek and I would go and grab an explorer from his in-laws, pick up my TV and another one to be taken to Two Harbors eventually and some DVD players for the TV shop, come back home, install it and enjoy. Well....the day didn't quite end up like that. Derek didn't get a chance to ask about the Explorer so we had to find another vehicle and the only one available was either Heather's car or mine. I took out the measuring tape and figured Heather's would be good enough if the TV was on at an angle. I really hoped this was going to work because not only did I want to enjoy 46 inches of high definition goodness later that day, I didn't want to come back empty handed since the drive was 45 minutes away.

After I picked up Derek we headed to DSI in Burnsville. I was given directions and knew where it was but didn't expect the road it was on to have nothing but look alike buildings with small names on it. So after a phone call or two and a few u-turns, Derek and I saw the place and pulled up to the back door. We walked in and saw two huge boxes and dvd players waiting for us and I knew this was going to be a least a two trip job if not three. I really hoped one of these boxes fit. We even got a "are you kidding" look from the guys at DSI when the opened the door and saw the car.

I opened the back of Heather's teal hatchback tying to eye the box and the opening. The workers then told us that it's best for the TV to ride as vertical as possible. Great! Well, there was no way that it was going to make it straight up and down, but it did go at a 45 degree angle. We braced it with whatever we had and hoped it would be enough on the pot hole riddled roads.

The ride home was quite as Derek and I watched for road land mines that would jostle the package we had in the back. The trip was fairly smooth but not without a few worries. We make it home and opened the package to see it indeed made it safe. Derek and I took it out of the package and placed it on it's new home. Derek and I watched the first part of Transformers until it was time for me to go to work. Once again, a day that was eventful, but no real surprises. Maybe the surprise was a great day with my brother. I don't get many of those lately.

Blessings,

Dain

No comments: