Monday, February 2, 2009

Surprise Me God - Day 19 & 20 - Friday / Saturday

Ski Extravaganza

Today was a day many of the youth at Word of Peace wait for all year long. Every year we plan an overnight ski trip to Welch Village in southern Minnesota where we leave the church around 9 p.m., arrive at the ski area around 10:30 p.m., get on the slopes at 11, ski like crazy until 4 am, get back on the bus and head home arriving around 6 am. It is tons of fun. This year proved to be no different. I was however, a little worried about having to many people on the bus. I was told that 56 is a comfortable amount and we were pushing it. People signing up last minute because they forgot, calling in hoping to not disappoint their kids. In the end everyone who wanted to go, even the ones who showed up at the door, got to go. That makes me glad.

The evening was really great. I got to spend a lot of it with Derek, Cory and Patrick. Cory and Patrick are two seniors who will be greatly missed when they head for college next year. I had coffee with them before we had to be at the church. It was good to sit and chat a little about life and catch up. They are great guys with a love for God that will take them far in life. And on top of that they can ski and board really well. It was a lot of fun to be with them on the slopes. Pastor Rick joined us as well at the end of the night and he is really good. I would like to say that was my surprise, but I knew that already.

Over the past few years we have had a couple of injuries in our group and I as always I hope and pray that we go without any this year. Thankfully the only time I saw the ski patrol out was for a training exercise, what a relief. There were a few bumps and bruises, but nothing serious. Thank God.

The ride home was and is my favorite ride home of any youth event we have. This is one I never have to worry about because everyone is so tired that they sleep the entire ride home, as do I. The big question is whether or not the parents are going to show up to get their kids. I have been at the church for an hour or more after the bus arrived on time waiting for parents to wake up. Tonight / this morning was, to my surprise, a very good night / morning. I was out of the church parking lot by 6:15 and on my way home to my bed. This was a great thing.

The moment I got home I was already headed to bed and hoping I could get to sleep before the sun could keep me awake. Not a problem. I was out like a light.

The rest of Saturday consisted of enjoying the new TV some more and eventually picking up my wife from the airport. We had a good rest of the evening with friends Steve and Kate coming over to rehearse for Sunday morning.

I think the best surprise I had these past two days would be the Q.T. I had with many people. The time I was able to spend with Cory and Patrick was great. I also got to spend time with a friend I haven't seen in a few years on Friday as well. Spending quality time with people always feels good to me. It's an interesting phenomenon, quality time. For some people it is a love language and I think it might one of mine as well. But I guess I haven't really realized before this that I need to make more of an effort in my life to have quality time with others. I always use the excuse that I am to busy and don't have time. And then what little time I do have I write off as quality time and call it good. The problem comes when the time I spent was only time, and it wasn't very quality. I really hope that I continue to find the value in this time I have with others, and that they see the value in it also.

Blessings,

dain

No comments: