Saturday, February 7, 2009

Surprise Me God - Day 22 - Monday

Which Centurion?

On Mondays I plan an evening worship for the high school youth of this congregation. It is sparsely attended but averages around 15 people. We sing, hear a message from me and then do something so we can experience God in a way we normally don't in our lives. This is a lot of planning and I wish sometimes I had more time to do it. But I must confess that I sometimes save the writing of a message or planning an experiential element until the day of.

But today was different. I had had two weeks to plan for tonight and I was ahead of the game. I had thought about what was going to happen, planned it out and written my message before today. I was pleased with myself. So when I went to ask Derek what songs we think we should do tonight so I could put them in the computer, he asked me what we were talking about. I began to tell him and explain the stories I was going to use and the video clip at the end. Now, one point of important information: Derek and I thought up this idea and how it was going to pan out 4 weeks ago so he knows what is going on. He looked at me with confusion and said Dain which Centurion are you talking about. "The one at the cross, right?" "No Dain that's the wrong one."

I couldn't believe it. 2 hours before I was to give the message and I had written it about the wrong person. Man did I feel dumb. So I went away to my computer and switched some things around, put in the right Bible verses and made sure that it made sense and then hoped for the best to come of it.

It really is amazing how in our lives we can plan and think about where, when, how, and what to do in our lives. We plan and think we have everything under control only to find out that we are not in control, that some other being, much more powerful and loving than we could ever be is guiding us through life and helping us out. It may not seem like help at the time because it inconveniences us. But looking back, it was the right thing to happen.

The sad part of this story is I knew where I was supposed to be and what to do. But I got distracted and proud of my planning and I let that get in the way. This is the same for my life. I get proud of my plans I have and ignore what plans God has for me. I need to be willing to put my plans aside and not feel like it is an inconvenience because in the end it will all work out for the best. Because I believe that God loves us and has amazing plans for us.

Blessings,

dain

No comments: