Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The end of Understanding

It's not that I am through with trying to understand the teenage mind, but that would be a logical conclusion after all the information I heard today, but it is only that the class is done and I am moving on to another.

The biggest thing that i took from this class is knowing that this is something kids and parents need to hear. And then trying to earn the right to give that information to them.

I have tried this before. It was called Parent Teen Connection. I had it once a month and I had two families show up. The amazing thing was I thought they went well and there was a lot taken from the class. Problem was, that was it, no one came after that. Is it because they don' think I can tell them anything they don't already know, or is it that I am young and have no kids so I can't possibly know what it is to parent.

I am not telling them how to parent....well maybe I am, but that is beside the point. I believe that as a person that is immersed in youth culture and is paid to know what is going on in the lives of teenagers today that I should have the respect of the parents. But maybe I am only viewed as the goofy youth director that has nothing wise or important to say. That's why I need to earn the right to talk to parents and go from there.

I am looking forward to the next class called "Manage," it should be equally as interesting.

-dain

No comments: