Friday, January 23, 2009

Surprise Me God - Day 10 - Wednesday

Winter sports, what a blast.

Today was a wonderful day. One that only can come once in January and February. It was about 30 degrees today and that made it prefect for the first of two tubing outings with the confirmation group.

My surprise came in the form of a conversation I had over multiple rides up the magic carpet to the top of the tubing hill. One of our confirmation students is actually a senior in high school. He wanted to be confirmed because he never got the chance when he was in middle school. So, he has gone through the three years, learning and mentoring along side the middle schoolers. He has always been a bit of a puzzle to me because he is so tall. When I first met him I couldn't believe he was in 6th grade, turns out he wasn't (whew) and since that time I have been very impressed at his excitement on Wednesday Nights.

We had a great couple of runs down the hill at Elm Creek Park and then on the way back up again he started to ask me questions. Not simple questions, but heavy very theological questions. And they were the type of questions that were meant to start a conversation. He had something to tell me. And in increments of 5 minutes we talked about everything from how shameful he was for his past and the things he has done to what the future looks like for him. And I must say the future looks bright. My surprise was what his choice for school was going to be and to hear that eventually he wants to go to seminary. This is a great thing to hear. I can hardly think of any youth who are so certain about going into the ministry at the end of high school. But over the years I have been blessed to know a couple of great people who will be great workers for Christ in their lives.

My hope is never that all the youth go into the ministry, but that everyone realizes that ministry is already a part of their daily lives and everywhere God leads us is our mission field.

Blessings,

dain

No comments: