Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Surprise Me God - Day 15 - Monday

Everyone for...please say YEA!

Monday's are odd enough without anything thing strange happening. Today wasn't a normal day. There was not normal evening programming tonight because of the churches annual meeting, and there was no school because of the end of the semester. So, today was not a normal by any means. I actually really liked today, it was semi low stress and everything seemed to go off without a hitch. Even the annual meeting (I always worry about that one).

The highlight of the day for me was sitting down for coffee with Tate. Tate is awesome. Here and I have been on two mission trips together and she is planning on going to New Orleans this next summer as well. She is really involved in DECA at school, not to mention she is the current Miss Rogers, MN. So I am talking bodyguards and everything. (just kidding) But It had been a long time since her and I sat down and talked so this coffee meeting was great.

Of course I had an idea of what a conversation might look like with her since we know each other fairly well, but I was a little surprised to talk about some of the things I did. Like I said she is awesome and easy to talk to. We talked about India, Country Music, DECA, school and a host of other things as well. It was fun. I am glad that I have had a chance to meet Tate.

As i think about it, there are so many youth I have worked with that I am glad to have met. There is hardly a person I have come upon that has made me wonder about their integrity as a person. And that is encouraging.

The day continued with me in the church kitchen helping organize and make the meal before the annual meeting. As a fundraiser, the youth put on a chili supper for everyone who comes to the meeting. It was a grand success and we even ran out of food. I spent most of the night "schmoozing with the locals" and then doing the dishes for the rest of the evening.

Doing the dishes is so much fun for me. Granted it is an industrial kitchen and cleaning is a breeze when it comes right down to it. But it also brings back memories of when I was in high school and would always volunteer to do the dishes for church. My friend Dan and I were unstoppable. There was no task that we could not handle. Dan and I would go to weddings and funerals at our church and rather than be out with the people we would be doing dishes. We were good. Imagine if you will a wedding with a few hundred people and the caterer showing up with all the food. They look at the kitchen (not the greatest but still functional) and would think to themselves "this is going to be a long night". This was mostly because they were in charge of cleaning up their mess as well. But in steps Dain and Dan, the wonder washers and the suds would fly. We had those nay-saying caterers out of the kitchen before the dance was even getting warmed up. Let's just say that we had a few job offers to come and do dishes for them all the time. We thought about it...but decided it was the most fun at our church.

Tonight was a little like that. I think it's because I enjoy being behind the scenes. As much of an extrovert that I am, I love working hard and letting other people, or God have the glory. I don't need any of that stuff. And then when it's all said and done I can go and sit and enjoy all the yea's and nay's of the annual meeting.

Like I said, it was an unusual day, but a good one at that.

Blessings,

dain

No comments: