Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Surprise Me God - Day 7 - Sunday

Worship leading is something I love to do. I learned to play the guitar and rather than wanting to figure out the amazing guitar solos, I wanted to play amazing grace. Eventually I got good enough to so I could join the praise band at my church. I was the third guitarist, Steve and Pete were much better than I was, but that was the best way to learn. I sat in the back with out any volume or microphones until I was comfortable. Now I am the one that is up front.

It seems like I am always in awe at the power of music. There is something deep down inside every person that connects to some kind of music. I always hope that the music people listen to is positive and uplifting, so when the opportunity came at Word of Peace to help out the contemporary worship service I jumped at the chance.

I invited two of my friends to come and help me form a band at church so we could continue the contemporary service. Heather and Kate are still playing with me, and I married Heather so I would say it has been somewhat of a success. We even recorded a CD.

Sometimes I wonder if what I do is ever really noticed. Do people take what they have for granted? I have to believe that most of us don't really know how good we have it until what we have is gone. While I was going around and sharing the peace with as many people as I could during the service, a family told me it was good to have me back. It caught me off guard and I smiled and took their complement. I have to say that I missed being around last week. Worship is something that feeds my soul like othing else. It is something that is so powerful and wonderful it is hard to describe sometimes. Worship is the time that I get to say thanks with all my friends for all the surprises in my life.

No comments: